Monday, February 16, 2009

Apple's Pages needs more

The latest version of Pages, which Apple describes as a "streamlined word processor and an easy-to-use page layout tool," still comes up short in fundamentals. Either that or I've lost it, because I can see no way to change the default font, for instance. Every time I open a document it defaults to Helvetica. I want to be able to set my own default. The menu sequence Pages > Preferences has nothing in it that allows users to change the default font. Maddening.

Also, when I type I hit a lot of "htere"-type words ("there") that I would expect a word processor to auto-correct. Pages does allow you to add auto-correction entries under Preferences > Auto-Correction, but it doesn't work. When I entered "htere" as the typed word to be replaced by "there," it simply flagged any occurrence of "htere" in my document as a word not found in its dictionary. It didn't auto-correct it. Not only do I want this to work, but I would like the table of replacements to come loaded with common typing errors that are autocorrected. I don't want to have to populate the table myself.

Pages is still too "streamlined" to be useful to me as a word processor.

No comments:

An early George Gershwin song from the musical "Miss 1917"

  Today, February 12,2024, marks the 100th anniversary of the debut of George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" in Aeolian Hall in...